great day

3.09.2010 2 comments
We had a great day yesterday.  It was supposed to be mid 60s and sunny, but instead it ended up being 73 and sunny with a cool breeze.  Fabulous!!  And nothing has started blooming yet so it was just the best weather day ever!  Living in the South = gross yellow filmy spring.  Ugg, just thinking about it makes me want to take my allergy medicine.  When I was pregnant with T, I had NO allergies- it was wonderful.  Too bad it didn't stick.  Ok, so back to yesterday.  I got up, begrudgingly, and made Chris lunch, fed T, fed the dogs, fed Chase, took the dogs out, then checked my email.  Low and behold, I got an email from the playgroup saying that the greenway walk was now at 10am!  and it was 9:15.  So I ran upstairs, jumped in the shower, dried most of my hair, realized I don't own any workout pants, slapped on a pair of maternity sweatpant capris and a tshirt, rushed to get T dressed, stuffed everyone in the car, chucked the Bob in the back and off we went.  We pulled into the greenway parking lot at exactly 9:59.  I got everyone out, strapped Chase to my chest, bribed T with fruit snacks to sit in the Bob and then walked over to the trail to wait.  And we wait.  At 10:26, when I was just about to leave, two ladies finished their run and asked if I was waiting for a group.  Yes.  Oh they've already left!  Lovely I grumble to myself and thank them with a smile for letting me know.  So we head off, T griping the entire time because he really only agrees to sit in the stroller when he's sleepy, why I said we should walk at 1... So I'm booking it, total power walk, as fast as I can without feeling like I'm making Chase sea sick.  I figure I'll catch them eventually when they turn around if they are almost 30mins ahead of me.  At this point, I'm wondering what their excuse will be for leaving before the "host" got to the event...on time I might add.  I'm justifying it in my head saying it's really hard to keep little kiddos entertained in a stroller while you wait especially if there are already people there.  Chase falls asleep almost immediately and I'm hating that I didn't just start with him facing me because now his little head is bobing around.  So at .8 miles in, I catch up with the group heading back.  No one tries to say hi to me and I don't really recognize anyone from the photos that are up on the playgroup website.  So I just keep walking.  I turn around at the bridge, my halfway mark (because I could just keep walking all the way to Alpharetta on the greenway) at 1.3 miles.  T is still griping and I agree to take him to his playground, a park near our house, after we get back.  I give him more fruit snacks and the car keys to keep him from whining/fake crying.  I don't walk quite as fast, but still, I'm enjoying my walk even if I'm by myself.  We stop to look for fish and frogs on our way back and to look for the duck.  There is a surprising amount of wetland between Alpharetta and Cumming.  And there are a surprising amount of adults of working age that aren't at work today...weird.  Does half the population work from home nowadays? We catch back up with the group at 2.3 miles.  They are taking up basically the entire greenway- one mom had a double stroller with a trike hanging off of it in her defense.  So I just slow up and walk behind them.  Now I notice that they all have yoga mats hanging off each stroller.  Weird, I think, maybe they do this often and everyone stretches before hand.  Then I hear the one mom who is actually decked out in full workout gear and actually has a jogging stroller say, so shall we just wait till we get to the end to do our abs?  And it all makes sense.  As I pass a few ladies who are obviously worn out, I say, Oh, you're a workout group.  And they say, yeah, it's our first meeting!  Whew, I think, so I wasn't left behind.  But then wait, nobody showed up either.  Eh, whatever, I'm in a great mood, it's an awesome day. I just walked 2.7 miles in 45mins and it feels great! So we head back towards our house and playground.  But if you noticed, I didn't mention that I had breakfast.  It's 11:30 so now I'm starving at this point.  I convince Travis to let me go home to change and eat something and fed Chase and then we'll go to his playground.  He refuses to get out of the car saying he'll just wait for me.  He looks really sleepy.  So I take my time eating some frosted shredded wheat and guzzling water.  I post on the playgroup website that I got an email saying the time had been changed so we went and walked anyway, but that if anyone still wanted to meet up, to just call my cell phone.  The playgroup leader then sends me an email at 12:08 saying she doesn't know where that email came from, one other mom got it too, but that Sam and Jenn were still planing on walking and she was going to try to make it too if I wanted to walk for a second time.  I respond that if I can get everyone fed, I'll come back over.  Travis has been let out of the car at this point and is halfway playing with his ride on toys/whining at me to go to the playground.  I decide to give it one more shot since T is obviously sleepy.  So I toss on a short sleeved tshirt, bribe T with dumdums to get back into the car and let me go to the park again and then we will, I promise, go to the playground and he can stay for hours.  So we get to the park at 12:52.  I load everyone up again, give T a sucker while we wait, and commence waiting.  At 1:26 I walk back over to the car to get some chapstick and pack everyone up.  We hang out in the car until 1:31 and then I leave.  That's right.  No one showed up...again!  I had forgotten my cell phone so I tell Travis I'm going home to get it and then we are heading to his playground and thank him profusely for being such a good boy.  I get out, grab my phone and toss on a pair of jeans, walk back to the car, that I left running, and guess what.  Both boys are asleep!  So I pull the car into the garage, Chase wakes up about 10 mins later and Travis wakes up after 30mins.  Chris called while T was asleep to say that work was slow and the boss was out of town and basically everyone else had left already so he would try to come home early too and go to the playground with us.  So I convince T to wait, yet again, to go to the playground until Daddy gets home.  We packed Chase up in the wagon, which now I wish I had bought the stupid umbrella that attaches to it, and walked down to our neighborhood playground- which totally sucks.  The swings are too high and the slides are for big kids and really hard for me to get into- think what you would build in your own backyard for your kids from a little kit- yup, that's it, we have two of those for the neighborhood.  So we hike back up the hill to our house and play on our little tykes playset.  Yes, we.  I chased him through the "castle" and down the slide over and over and over until 4:10.  Then we went inside to chill before Daddy got home.  We headed to the playground with Dad in tow for the first time around 5. And it was packed.  T was rather standoffish- it's never been that crowded before and there were a lot of big kids- it's made for 5 and under.  We sort of played until 5:30 when we decided to leave.  Then suddenly, everyone else left too, so we went back over to the playground and ran around for another 10 mins or so, we played with the board you throw bean bags into and then tore ourselves away from the delicious smells coming from SmokeJack BBQ on their opening night.  It was really hard!  So that was my day.  It was fabulous and ended with some awesome BLTCOEs on toast with potato salad.
 check out that happy boy with his new haircut!  
I think it's the best I've done yet :) my thumb didn't fair so well though...
 happy Chasey in the wagon
 check out those thunder thighs!!!
note: T is wearing long sleeves and jeans while Chase is hanging out necked, necked not naked because he was up to something ;)

2 comments:

  • Natalie said...

    What a day! Oh my...the things we do in the name of potential friendship, eh? I'm lucky...I live here in Utah in a neighborhood full of LDS women who stay home with their kids. We meet at church every week, so I can connect with my neighbors that way. Even then, finding bosom friends can be tricky though. Parenting styles and personalities of parents AND their children have to mesh well with mine AND my children's. Keep your chin up...you'll find some great moms to connect with in real life. Lucky for you, you have a wonderful husband as your best friend. Not all women do and I can't imagine how lonely that would be. I love how patient T was. I'm pretty amazed at my boys and their willingness to wait, to be understanding of the bumps in the road. Sorry your day was filled with so much waiting, but I'm glad it turned out well.

  • Lauren and Matt said...

    Oh my goodness, what a day! It is so hard to get organized and out of the house on time, isn't it? I can't believe you managed to do it twice in the same day! Sorry about the playgroup, though. I hate when something like that happens. I always get so excited to make new friends and then when it backfires I'm so disappointed. I hope they show up next time!

Post a Comment

Search

 

©Copyright 2011 this that and the otter | TNB