it's time

3.03.2010 3 comments
...to ask for help.  I've got so many ideas spinning around in my head and I'm just not sure where to go with them.  Chris says, no don't change anything, then tells me not to listen to him, that he knows it will look great when I'm done doing whatever it is I'm doing/changing.  So he's no help.  And I've finally decided to give my brain the boot.  I keep thinking, where am I going to put those bookshelves, I really need that storage in there, what would I do with his old bed, is black to harsh for a little boy...etc. etc.  So here's the deal.  I'm keeping the dresser- everything else is negotiable. It's great, a little bashed on one corner of the top, but totally a great piece of furniture.  I'm not opposed to painting it or restaining it or changing the knobs.  It fits in three spots in the room so I've got options.  And just for giggles, here is our house in plan form.

Now back to the project at hand.  I'm not painting the walls/ceiling again so it's staying green.  It has to include cars and trucks.  It has to have longevity to some extent.  ie- that dresser is great and the quilt I'm loving from PBK is not super childish. 

 I am willing to paint a mural of some sort- I had visions of a magnetic road running around parts of the room at kid level and putting magnets on the bottom of match box cars so he could actually "drive" them around.  I'd also thought of alternatively doing shelves like these except for cars/trucks and not books.  I love books, they are just out in the hall so they don't get torn up at night when someone is supposed to be sleeping, ahem!

I really love this bed from Ikea, I think it's so fun for a little kid and with the tent, I wouldn't worry about him falling out of the top bunk at night.  However, and it's a big however, Chris thinks it has very limited longevity and would be a waste of money.  I measured, and it will fit under my eaves, but as much as I keep thinking that they should have something fun while they are little and will enjoy it...I don't know, Chris makes a good point.

So there you have it folks.  My mind in a post.  Tell me what you think.  Please, give me tips.  Do I go for black furniture or white? Is a wood tone better? Do I need a twin bed or is the full ok?  Should I get a new bed frame if I'm keeping the full?  How should I display his collections better because at 2, he plays with his collections every day?  Chase won't move in with him for another year if they still want to then...do I plan for that or just cross that bridge when we get to it?

3 comments:

  • Natalie said...

    Cat, you are asking the wrong girl if your looking to me for answers. My boys' rooms are full of mismatched yard sale finds. I LOVE all of your ideas. really. I wish I had some sort of advice, but I'm positive you'll come up with something WAY better than I ever could. Chris does make a good point about the bed...and who would get the top bunk when they share a room? I can just imagine my boys fighting over that tent...again, I love the room, all the cool lines, the color. It is such a cute room and if I come across anything that may be helpful, I'll send it your way.

  • Marianne said...

    I'm with Nat--you are the person I turn to for design help, so I don't feel like I could possibly give you decorating advice! Just know that whatever you choose will be adorable as always! (I'm sure that's very helpful!)

Post a Comment

Search

 

©Copyright 2011 this that and the otter | TNB