hoot hoot

10.27.2010 2 comments
I did it :)  I got to make my boys Halloween costumes this year!  My mom had bought Travis a fireman-inspired coat and some matching galloshes so he could be a fireman.  Well, he changed his mind...for the 57th time.  So I gave him the ultimatum- whatever you decide on today is it, no backsies.  That was Monday.  And while he started off wanting to be the fireman, that quickly changed to a witch.  He was certain he wanted to be a witch...and that he needed a sweeper (aka-broom) and a hat and a cape.  So I started trying to find Harry Potter stuff for him to wear since he is a boy witch and, ahem-cough-cough, I'm still madly in love with the books.  So after finding a great tutorial on how to make a very realistic wand out of a sheet of paper, some hot glue, and craft paint, I started hunting for Chase a matching costume.  Enter Ellen Baker.  I got super excited about it :)  It looked so darn cute and pretty easy to make to boot.  I showed it to Travis and told him since he was going to be a witch, Chase was going to be an owl because witches always have owls around.  He excitedly exclaimed that he wanted to be an owl too!!!!  So I kept the site up and periodically asked him if he was for realz.  He was.  So yesterday...after a full day of work and boy wrangling, I headed to JoAnn's to pick out the fabric.  I have to admit that it took me forever to make a final selection.  I found 4 fabrics really easily, but needed a fifth.  JoAnn's stifles my creativity.  I then met Chris for dinner at Travis' favorite restaurant (Jimmy John's of course).  So we got back home around 8, Travis went to bed around 9:30 and then I started on their costumes.  We had our playgroup Halloween party this morning so I had a deadline!!!  Everything turned out fabulous.  Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better result!  I love them, Chris loves them, the boys love them.  Perfection.  However, I um, well, I didn't sleep at all last night.  I worked on the costumes straight from about 11pm till 6am.  About 3hrs for each costume.  Wow!  That probably wouldn't be too bad if I had spaced it out over a few days... but currently, I'm beyond exhausted.  The Halloween party was fun, really loud and lots of boys going unruly while their mommies chat, some sweet sweet chunky babyness, and lots of goodies for the kiddos.  I brought graveyard pudding cups and chocolate dipped pretzel sticks.  I wish I had taken home the leftover pretzel sticks!  We can't wait for Halloween now!  I'm not sure that we will go trick or treating, but the boys look adorable and are very comfy too so they actually keep the costume on, yay!  Plus, how much do you love dressing little boys alike? me? better than spaghetti- and that's saying something.




2 comments:

  • Natalie said...

    Holy cow, I LOVE those costumes! So sad that you didn't get any sleep, but at least you got the cutest result imaginable! My boys have finally settled on what they want to be...here, the day before halloween. Not that I would have been on the ball enough to get started on them any earlier anyway=) We tend to just throw things together and usually the boys are happy with the results. After seeing your incredible creations though, I don't know that I will ever be happy with our costumes again. And thanks for emailing that link! I love it and can't wait to show Kevin. So fun.

Post a Comment

Search

 

©Copyright 2011 this that and the otter | TNB